- Gabel J, Whitmore H., et al. “Obesity and the Workplace: Current Programs and Attitudes Among Employers and Employees.” Health Affairs 28, no. 1 (2009): 46-56. Ostbye T, Dement J, et al. “Obesity and Workers’ Compensation: Results from the Duke Health Safety and Surveillance System.” Archives of Internal Medicine 167, no. 8 (2007): 766-773.
- 2011 Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), CDC.
- Finkelstein, d E. A., Trogdon, J. G., Cohen, J. W., & Dietz, W. (2009). Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: Payer-and service-specific estimates. Health Affairs, 28(5), w822-w831. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.28.5.w822
- Fellows, J. L., Trosclair, A., Adams, E. K., & Rivera, C. C. (2002). Annual smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and economic costs-United States, 1995-1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep., 51, 300-303.
- Ozminkowski RJ, Goetzel RZ, Smith MW, Cantor RI, Shaunghnessy A, and Harrison M. “The Impact of the Citibank, N.A., Health Management Program on Changes in Employee Health Risks Over Time.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 42(5):502-11, 2000.
- Ozminkowski RJ, Dunn RL, Goetzel RZ, Cantor RI, Murnane J, and Harrison M. “A Return on Investment Evaluation of the Citibank, N.A., Health Management Program.” American Journal of Health Promotion, 44(1):31-43, 1999.
- Goetzel RZ, Ozminkowski RJ, Bruno JA, Rutter KR, Isaac F, and Wang S. “The Long-Term Impact of Johnson & Johnson’s Health & Wellness Program on Employee Health Risks.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 44(5):417-24, 2002.
- Ozminkowski RJ, Ling D, Goetzel RZ, et al. “Long-Term Impact of Johnson & Johnson’s Health & Wellness Program on Health Care Utilization and Expenditures.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 44(1):21-9, 2002.
- Goetzel RZ, Jacobson BH, Aldana SG, Vardell K, and Yee L. “Health Care Costs of Worksite Health Promotion Participants and Non-Participants.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 40(4):341-6, 1998.
- Naydeck BL, Pearson JA, Ozminkowski RJ, Day BT, and Goetzel RZ. “The Impact of the Highmark Employee Wellness Programs on Four-Year Healthcare Costs.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 50(2):146-56, 2008.
- Goetzel RZ, Juday TR, and Ozminkowski RJ. “What’s the ROI? A Systematic Review of Return on Investment (ROI) Studies of Corporate Health and Productivity Management Initiatives.” Association for Worksite Health Promotion, Worksite Health, Summer:12-21, 1999.
- Aldana SG. “Financial Impact of Health Promotion Programs: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature.” American Journal of Health Promotion, 15(5):296-320, 2001.
- Chapman L. “Meta-Evaluation of Worksite Health Promotion Economic Return Studies: 2005 Update.” American Journal of Health Promotion, 19(6):1A, 2005.
- Serxner S, Gold D, Meraz A, and Gray A. “Do Employee Health Management (EHM) Programs Work?” American Journal of Health Promotion, 23(4):1A, 2009.
- Baicker K, Cutler D, and Song Z. “Workplace Wellness Programs Can Generate Savings.” Health Affairs, 29(2):304-11, 2010.
- Halpern, M. T., Dirani, R., & Schmier, J. K. (2007). Impacts of a smoking cessation benefit among employed populations. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 49(1), 11-21 10.1097/JOM.1090b1013e31802db31579.
- Meenan, R. T., Vogt, T. M., Williams, A. E., Stevens, V. J., Albright, C. L., & Nigg, C. (2010). Economic evaluation of a worksite obesity prevention and intervention trial among hotel workers in Hawaii. J Occup Environ Med, 52 Suppl 1, S8-13. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3181c81af9
- Naydeck, B. L., Pearson, J. A., Ozminkowski, R. J., Day, B. T., & Goetzel, R. Z. (2008). The impact of the highmark employee wellness programs on 4-year healthcare costs. J Occup Environ Med, 50(2), 146-156. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3181617855
Create a Wellness Program
- Adapted from Healthy Workforce 2010: An Essential Health Promotion Sourcebook, for Employers, Large and Small. 2001, Partnership for Prevention: Washington, DC at www.prevent.org/publications/Healthy_Workforce_2010.pdf.