State Agency Legislation
Texas is one of the few states with legislation requiring wellness support in state agencies, including designating a wellness liaison in each state agency. Additionally, individual agencies may allow their employees to engage in any or all of the following:
- Develop an agency wellness council.
- Participate in wellness council activities for two or more hours each month.
- Devote 30 minutes during normal working hours for physical activity three times per week.
- Attend onsite wellness seminars when offered.
- Earn eight hours of additional leave time each year for completing a health risk assessment and physical examination with a healthcare provider.
HB 1297 also designates the establishment of this web site to serve as the source for agency leaders and wellness planners to find guidance, data, model programs and policies, templates, forms and other resources to support their wellness initiatives. The house bill is available at: House Bill 1297